Publication date November 7, 2023
3 Vegan Pasta Recipes To Try for a Healthy Lifestyle
Patsa is truly an ultimate comfort food, wouldn’t you agree? Pasta is one of my favorite foods because it is obviously delicious, there are endless vegan varieties, and it's infinitely versatile.
Source: Plant Based on Budget
You can make vegan pasta quickly in just 15 minutes and with only a few handy ingredients. Whether you want to have it for breakfast, lunch, or dinner date, healthy pasta is always a good choice.
On that note, below I have rounded up 3 amazing vegan pasta recipes that I have tried as well as fantastic recipes around the Internet.
1. Easy Penne Alla Norma (Eggplant Pasta) Recipe
Source: Serious Eats
Penne Alla Norma is one of my go-to plant-based pasta recipes. Tender eggplant and red peppers simmered in tomato sauce then tossed with al dente pasta. This is a perfect weeknight meal and any day of the week.
- Pasta: I used penne, but use your favorite pasta.
- Aromatics: onion and garlic blend.
- Eggplant: For a perfect dish go with a small eggplant that is low in seeds.
- Red peppers: Any bell peppers of choice.
- Sugar: Any granulated sugar or liquid sweetener.
- Tomato sauce: Canned tomato sauce or homemade tomato sauce.
- Spinach: For a boost of nutrition.
- Chili flakes: A pinch of red chili flakes.
How to Make Penne Alla Norma Pasta
1) Take a large pot of salted water, and begin to cook the pasta according to package instructions. Mostly a regular or gluten-free pasta takes about 10 minutes to cook until al dente, but it is best to follow the instructions on your particular pasta.
2) While the pasta is cooking, heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic and onions blend and sauté for 2-3 minutes, stirring frequently to prevent the garlic from burning.
3) In the next step, add the eggplant and red peppers and season with salt. Allow the eggplant cubes and diced red pepper to sauté for about 4-5 minutes, or until beginning to soften.
4) Now add the tomato sauce and pinch of sugar to help balance the acidity. Sti until the vegetables are well coated. Allow to simmer for 4-5 minutes, then add a handful of fresh spinach.
5) Once the penne pasta is cooked, drain the pasta and add it to the skillet with the sauce. Toss to combine.
6) Serve penne alla norma pasta immediately while hot and enjoy!
2. Creamy Dreamy Avocado Pasta
Source: Australian Avocados
If you are an Avocado lover and are craving something lighter for spring and summer, this is the pasta for you. The best part of this recipe is that all you need is a few ingredients and 30 minutes.
- 500 g wholegrain pasta
- 3 avocados
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 2 tbsp lemon, juice
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1 cup baby spinach leaves
- 250 g cherry tomatoes, halved
- ¼ cup pine nuts
How to make Creamy Avocado Pasta
1) Take a large pot of salted water, and cook the pasta according to package instructions.
2) While the pasta is cooking, add avocado, garlic, lemon juice, baby spinach, and basil to a blender and blend until smooth.
3)Once your pasta is cooked, drain the water, reserving a bit for the sauce. Add avocado and tomato sauce to pasta and stir through to warm. Add a splash of reserved pasta water to thin sauce if you want.
4) Now, serve topped with pine nuts and fresh basil.
3. Sun Dried Tomato Pasta
Source: Plant-Based Jess
If you are looking for vegan pasta recipes, this Sun Dried Tomato Pasta can be a perfect choice for you.
This pasta is such a tasty and filling dish. You can make this with some intensely flavored ingredients as well as creamy elements that make this vegan sauce so scrumptious.
The cashews and coconut milk give an amazing texture to the pasta sauce. The sun-dried tomatoes, which are a potent version of this fruit, have a strong sweetness as well as a tart flavor. These ingredients all come together to make a really delicious meal.
- Pasta: I used penne, but you can use any pasta you like.
- Sun Dried Tomatoes: Use store-bought or make them yourself at home.
- Cashews: Raw cashews.
- Garlic: Garlic to add lots of flavor.
- Nutritional yeast: This adds a good cheesy flavor. But it is optional so you can skip it if you want.
- Coconut Milk: You can also use unsweetened oat milk creamer or just oat milk.
- Spices: Salt, pepper, and red pepper.
How to make Sun Dried Tomato Pasta
1) To begin, place the sun-dried tomatoes, cashews, and garlic clove into a smoothie cup, along with about 2 cups of boiling water, and then soak it for 15 minutes.
2) Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and start cooking the pasta, according to the package instructions.
3) Once the sauce ingredients have soaked, drain the water, and add 1 cup of clean water to it. Next, add in the coconut milk, nutritional yeast, and species. Process everything until it is very smooth.
4) Pour the sauce into a skillet and cook on medium heat, just until heard through.
5) Now add the drained pasta to the sauce and stir well. Use some reserved pasta water to thin the sauce, if needed.
How to Store & Reheat Vegan Pasta
You can store any leftover vegan pasta in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days in an airtight container.
If you want to reheat it, just place it back on the stovetop and warm through, adding some more coconut milk if the sauce of the pasta has gotten too thick in the fridge.