Publication date October 23, 2023
The Comforting Embrace of Butternut Squash Soup
Butternut squash soup half baked harvest breakout is my all-time favourite recipe for Sunday afternoons. You must agree that on a brisk day, there is nothing more relaxing than chopping vegetables calmly on a warm stove.
As you cook, your kitchen fills with the cozy scent and calmness of butternut squash and after finishing the cooking, you reward yourself with the pleasant butternut soup.
Ah, the feeling and taste this soup has is mindblowing. Let’s move ahead and understand the recipe for this fantabulous butternut squash soup with ginger.
What is Butternut Squash Soup Made Of?
Well, all squash are native to America and the butternut variety has been expected to be developed there only in the 1940s. And, because of its buttery and nutty flavour and texture, it got its name “Butternut.”
As we all know butternut squash soup is healthy and tasty as a result you will just require eight basic ingredients in order to prepare this delicious soup such as butternut squash (obviously), olive oil, butter, garlic, nutmeg, shallot, vegetable broth, and maple syrup.
This soup helps your body to maintain blood pressure. I must tell you that butternut squash is high in potassium which helps your blood pressure in check and reduces the risk of stroke or heart disease. Basically, its fibre helps with blood sugar.
When I was preparing this soup for the first time, there were a lot of questions running around in my head and the most important one was what does butternut squash soup taste like. And I got my answer after I ate it. Trust me, it is too delicious and yummy.
It is moist, sweet, and nutty in taste. Its savour is somewhat like a sweet potato. You will be able to sense its taste once you make it with your own hands and eat it with other courses.
Ingredients for Butternut Squash Soup
If you have made up your mind to sense the delectable taste of this mindblowing butternut soup, then you need 10 superficial ingredients that include:
- Butternut Squash: this soup packs in 3 pounds of squash, hence you need to look for a medium-large one in the farmers market or at the store. And if you don’t have a scale at your home, then you must weigh the squash while buying.
- Yellow Onion and Garlic: You all know the supremacy of onion and garlic in any dish. Yes, these veggies add delicacy and delicious depth of flavour to this soup as well.
- Fresh Rosemary and Sage: Rosemary doesn’t fit everywhere, but here, rosemary is way better than other fresh herbs and I indeed love it in the butternut squash because it makes the soup complex and cozy and fits every mood and party.
- Ginger: When it comes to vegan butternut squash recipes, ginger is something that will become the king of the dish. It has a warm flavour that emphasises the autumnal taste of the squash and herbs.
- Extra-virgin Olive Oil: You just need two tablespoons of this oil in order to add the ideal amount of delight and richness to your soup.
- Vegetable Broth: As the blended squash becomes light and creamy at the time of cooking, there is no requirement for coconut milk, dairy, and nuts. Hence, it will be best when you use vegetable broth as its base.
- Salt and Freshly Ground Black Pepper: Add salt and fresh ground black pepper with onions and make sure to taste it after it gets prepared.
Recipe of Butternut Squash Soup
I have made this soup multiple times. Hence, I am here to instruct you on the recipe that I used while preparing the soup at home. You need to ensure to follow all the steps carefully and precisely.
Let’s start cooking!
- Firstly, you need to chop all the veggies.
- Saute the onions until they get translucent and light brown in colour.
- Add the squash and cook until it gets smooth and soft.
- After that, you need to stir it in the herbs, ginger, and garlic.
- Pour in the broth and simmer for about 20 minutes till the squash gets tender.
- When the squash becomes soft, make sure to transfer the soup into the blender.
- Blend the soup till it gets creamy and attains a vibrant orange colour.
- At last, pour it into a bowl and garnish it with pepitas or chopped parsley.
- Serve it to your guests and enjoy!
What to Eat with Butternut Squash Soup?
You will become tense when it comes to what you can eat with a butternut squash or what you can serve with soup.
There are several things that you can make with this soup and this confuses you to the core. And for this, I am here to guide you through what to eat with butternut soup.
First of all, you can relish this soup as a starter, side, or main dish. If you are making it as the centre of the meal, you can relish it with good crusty bread, avocado toast, homemade focaccia, and corn muffins.
Apart from these courses, you can also eat it with a fall salad or a simple veggie side. I have made this soup several times, and I have eaten it with multiple courses such as:
- Simple Lemon Green Beans
- Simple Roasted Beets
- Shredded Brussels Sprout Salad
- Roasted Beet Salad
- Roasted Brussels Sprout
- Rainbow Kale Salad with Carrot-Ginger Dressing
- Roasted Cauliflower with Lemon Zest
I know you will be thinking of loving this soup lately. No wonder it is creamy, nourishing, luscious, and tasty and is perfect for satisfying anyone’s cravings.
With the ingredients and recipe that I explained above, it is effortless for you to make it. So, go to your kitchen and start cooking the best butternut squash soup and enjoy the soup all week long. Happy Weekend!