Publication date November 24, 2023
What is Cold Foam Trend in Coffee?
In the top lattes, mochas, cappuccinos, and others are prepared with the help of steamed and frothed milk. Starbucks introduced a new concept and trend worldwide, i.e., cold foam.
Cold foam became a signature of Starbucks that was then recreated by competitors such as Jamba Juice and Dunkin’.
If you have prepared yourself to save your time and money, then we are here to tell you what is cold foam and how to make cold foam at home. So, without wasting a minute, let’s get started!
What is Cold Foam?
When making a cold foam you would have wondered what is cold foam and how to use a milk frother because a cold foam is prepared from a frothed milk that is often flavoured with an extract or a sweetener. Have some patience as we are going to tell you about this as well.
Well, cold foam is just like steamed milk that tops cappuccinos and lattes just at a cool temperature. It will never melt into your hot drink but it creates a sweet and light layer of crema that gently settles into your beverage when you sip it.
For an extra 50 cents, you are able to add cold foam to several Starbucks drinks. It is also included in several menu items such as iced mochas, cold brews, iced matcha tea lattes, trendy “pink drinks”, and iced espressos.
Ingredients for Making Cold Foam
If you want to prepare a cold foam coffee at home, then you just need three ingredients. All of these ingredients are mentioned below:
Skim milk is the best when it comes to preparing a cold foam because it has a higher percentage of protein per ounce than whole milk. It whips up in a thick and sturdy style.
If you want something more decadent, you can use heavy cream. Of course, those other fat percentages also work. Coconut cream, oats, almonds, and coconut milk will work as a plant-based swap.
Simple syrup provides sweetness without adding any lingering flavours, hence it has become our top pick for preparing cold foams.
You just need to add equal amounts of sugar and water to a saucepan over medium heat, stir and cook until the sugar is dissolved, then transfer it to an airtight storage vessel.
You can use an equal amount of honey, maple syrup, or coffee syrup in order to sweeten your cold foam.
3. Spice or Extract
Adding spice or extract to your cold foam is optional but is considered a highly recommended part of your cold foam formula.
You must feel free to get creative and flavour your cold foam with anything else. You can try a small amount of pumpkin spice in order to top your coffee latte.
You are able to mix in a small spoon of fruit puree or you can try another flavour of almond or maple extract.
How Can You Froth Cold Milk?
There should be no questions like what is cold foam and can you froth cold milk as a cold foam is prepared from frothed milk only. Homemade cold foam looks amazing but is difficult to prepare it.
Before jumping over how to make cold foam, you must gather all the ingredients and foaming tools of your choice. You can choose any of the below-mentioned tools in order to make cold foam.
- Milk Frother:- This is the easiest, smallest-to-store, and speediest option that you can go for. Now you must be thinking about how to use milk frother. So, relax, we will tell you about this in the recipe section.
- Immersion Blender:- Typically, Immersion Blender is just like a larger version of the Milk frother that can accomplish several other tasks such as blitzing up soups and sauces too.
- French Blender:- You need to pour the ingredients into the pitcher and make use of these short pumps of the press till the milk starts to foam.
- Regular Blender:- For big batches of cold foam, make sure to use a large countertop blender or a smaller smoothie blender. You need to add all the ingredients to the pitcher or cup till the milk becomes foamy and full of volume.
- Mason Jar:- For an arm workout and serving of cold foam, make sure to add the ingredients to a mason jar. You will need to top it with a lid and shake it vigorously till the milk becomes foamy and full of volume.
How to Make Cold Foam?
First of all, you need to match the ratios of ingredients that you will need to prepare a cold foam. These ratios are mentioned below:
- 1/4 cup milk.
- 1 teaspoon simple syrup or you can use any other liquid sweetener.
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract or you can use spice and flavour-booster of your choice.
In order to prepare a cold foam at home, you must follow the below-mentioned steps:
- You need to add milk, syrup, and extract in a big glass, jar, or pitcher.
- Place the milk frother into the vessel that will allow the whisk portion to submerge fully.
- Then, you need to turn on the milk frother and blend it upto 20 minutes until the milk starts to thicken and stabilise.
- Slowly, lift the wand towards the top of the milk, then out of the glass.
- With the help of a spoon, transfer the cold foam gently to the top of your drink.
If you are left with any extra foam, then transfer it to a mason jar and cover it with a lid in order to store it in the fridge for up to three days for further use.
Before serving it to your guests, make sure to use a milk frother in order to make it fresh and foamy again or you can simply shake the jar vigorously in order to give the cold foam a volume.
The Bottom Line
With this, you would have understood what is cold foam, what is frothed milk and how to use milk frother in the easiest way possible. Personally, we use the above methods to prepare the cold foam at home and enjoy it with our friends during coffee time.
Cold foam coffee has become everyone’s favourite and once you know how to make a cold foam, you can use the recipe for making this voluminous and tastiest foam in your other drinks as well.
In order to add a special touch to your happy hours, you are able to use this cold foam to the top spirit-free mixed drinks or cocktails such as hot chocolate, milk punch, and eggnog.